Saturday, September 20, 2008

Lettuce all love...

Today I have nothing of circumstance to report but have been meaning to post this recipe since last week. You see, I am a huge lettuce wrap fan. PF Changs has ruined me for life! Ever since I had my first bite about six years ago, I have not only loved these little bundles of perfect yum and goodness, but now crave them all the time!

So what to do when the closest PFC is nearly 50 miles away? Make it yourself and use the man in your life as your guinea pig...and in my mind I said, "Yes, this will work!!!!"

Shortly after my discussion with myself and realizing having this type of exchange proves my craziness, I began. I sliced the pork ever so thin, combined it with all its friends so they could all hang out in a bowl together until I was ready to cook...Oh, did I also say this meal was prepared last Sunday...the day the Guitarist cleaned and let me relax all day...I still love that man! Anyway, back to the story~ So his reward for being the best guy on the planet? Drum Roll please......

Lettuce wraps to give PF Chang's a run for their money!!!! (I typed that in a sing song-y voice)

Wow, were they delicious! I am a very confident cook and get complimented a great deal for my food (not that I am bragging or anything because that would be wrong) but this surprised even me. Typically I need to make a recipe a time or two to tweak and get it just right but these are so easy and likely forgiving since I varied the recipe a bit and the result was truly award worthy...okay, maybe only in my mind but they were wicked good!

Try them and you too will fall in love~


Sesame Lettuce Wraps
Adapted from Korean sesame beef with lettuce wraps in the Sept Cooking Light, 2008


3/4 pound of meat, trimmed and thinly sliced- recipe called for flank steak but I had thin pork chops so I used them. You could easily use chicken too, which I will do the next time.

1/3 onion, diced-called for green onions but since I don't like them and had white onion, that is what I used.

1 TBS sugar-I used organic cane sugar but any will do.

6 TBS GF soy sauce-called for just two, but I like more and used LaChoy lite.

1 TBS minced garlic-I used the jarred kind...I know, but I was supposed to be relaxing, remember!

1 TBS toasted sesame seeds-I toasted my own so they had better flavor.

1 tsp sesame oil-I love this stuff and use it all the time in lots of things which would shock you!

Combine the items above and marinade for at least 1 hour, max 4 hours.

2 generous TBS of safflower oil-called for canola but you could really use any kind.

1 small head of lettuce, rinsed, drained well and left as whole leaves-I used iceberg but love bib for these.

The recipe called for kimchi but I prefer something much better! I made quick pickles of 1/2 a thinly sliced English or seedless cucumber, enough cider vinegar to cover them and a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar; stir and let sit until the meal is ready.

I also made jasmine rice to go with it...I cooked it as directed and once finished, mixed in a couple tablespoons of peanut sauce.

Cook the marinated meat in a hot pan or wok with safflower oil in two batches..fast and hard here so you get a good color on it without burning the garlic...mine was on medium high.

Serve in separate dishes or a large platter-

Meat
Lettuce leaves
shredded carrots
broccoli slaw
pickled cukes
peanut jasmine rice

Using the lettuce as a cup, spoon in a small amount of each and top with peanut sauce. I used a jarred one that was gluten free although I don't remember the name of it...sorry! Wrap your lettuce around and make a beautiful little package and eat with your hands like a taco.

I served the rice on the side...

Hope you love them as much as we did!

T

1 comment:

SaintTigerlily said...

This is SO on my menu for this weekend!